Friday, June 09, 2006

Adaptive Behaviour

Yesterday, I was trying to nurse a fussy Burke (he's teething) and Amila was happily playing. Suddenly she was quite upset; there was a mosquito buzzing around her and it stayed with her when she came over beside me. She was truly crying and upset. I ended up having her lie on my side while I was nursing Burke on the other side. I realized that from an evolutionary standpoint, it would make sense for children to cry for help if a bug comes close; mosquitos could carry malaria or other diseases that could kill a child before they grew up to reproduce. I'm not sure if this is the case, (it sounds plausible to me), but either way, it helped me understand a behaviour that otherwise seemed silly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And perhaps explained how uncormfotable I was reading that book Why Mosquitos Buzz in Peoples Ears...

Anonymous said...

Poor Amelia! Sometimes I feel like crying when a mosquito (or wasp) locks onto me too. It's so frustrating to not be able to get away from it. Your theory makes sense, it seems a good idea to go to mom when something is bothering you!