Friday, May 06, 2005

Happy Mothering Day

With Mother's day coming, I've been thinking about the experience of being a mother. I don't think anything I'm going to say is new, but learning something for myself by doing has always been different than just learning by thinking or reading about it. Mothering (by whoever does it) is such an important task. When I think about how much these children learn in the first few years, I know that any and all support I can give to this child is deserved. I don't think that caring for her is a chore (although there are moment, but those usually have more to do with the chores that I'm trying to do while she needs me), and the miracle of the relationship is how rewarding it is.

I take baths with Amelia, and sometimes lately I haven't wanted to and she enjoys herself fine when I'm not in the tub with her. But she's just started something that wouldn't have happened if I didn't bathe with her. She will be sitting with her back to me and slowly start to lean back until I've got her head in my hand and then she lays back all the way ultil she's floating in the water, her head in my hand. I almost missed it the first time she did this, and I don't know what prompted her to it, because as much as she loves her baths and doesn't mind water on her face, she was always hesitant about it when I layed her back to rinse her hair. This action and her complete trust that I'll catch her, and the upside-down "conversations" we have while she's lying there make my heart sing.

No comments: