Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Actual progress!


quilt Posted by Picasa

This is the double-sided quilt I had intended to finish before Amelia was born, need I say more? Of course, it's still not done, but there's lots of time before Christmas right? The darker side is brushed cotton aqnd the lighter side is regular quilting cotton. When I bought the fabrics, I tried to be as gender-neutral as possible, but the light side looks very pink to me. ( an aside, as I type, Amelia is sitting on my hip resting her head on my shoulder.She just woke up.) The bottom left picture shows the light red for the borders, to tie the two sides together. And one more yogurt picture to fill in the collage. The finished quilt will be almost five feet square. (It'll be five feet long and just under five wide)(and there are 72 squares, 6 inches , 8rows x9 columns. no prime numbers Amanda! If I ever get better at quilting I'd love to incorporate mathematical patterns into quilts. Someday...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture is so cute!! Got to love it!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I was thinking about dividing it up as I was looking at the pictures and reading your post! Are you planning to tie it, then? Or quilt it? In either case, it's beautiful! I love the two-sidedness, and all the squares within squares and other patterns are so neat! Are the little squares appliqued on?

Love the latest yogurt picture too! She looks like a cute little white-bearded imp (in a good way)!

Anonymous said...

Carabeth, it looks so beautiful! Hurrah! It is yummy. It's okay that it is late because she is going to have that quilt forever.

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing quilt--times two! What a great idea to make it double-sided. Amelia is going to love it whenever it's done.

As for mathematical patterns in quilts, you might be interested in Jinny Beyer's book Designing Tessellations: she goes into detail about the math involved in, well, designing tessellations. It's a beautifully designed book, too.