Wednesday, November 08, 2006

May I vent a little?

Why do people think that it's cute or funny to ask little girls with big brown eyes if they can take them home, or if their mom would notice if they took her little brother away with them? And then they have the audacity to expect that little girl to give them a polite goodbye or even a hug? I wish I could think of a good snide comment to make in these situations, but these people are frequently people that we see on a semi-occasional basis and on whose goodwill in their job we rely on. Argh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Carabeth,
That is a very old-fashioned thing to say. I guess they don't realize what it sounds like to a three-year-old. Perhaps all you can say is: "Please don't frighten her, she doesn't realize that you are joking."

Anonymous said...

I was just about to guess that the tormenter was older, as it strikes me as something people of my parents' or grandparents' generation would say. Although I don't know why they thought it was ok to say a thing like that. Perhaps child abductions didn't happen much then? I like Mary's suggested response. I hope Amelia isn't too traumatized.