Friday, November 03, 2006

Sleeping girl and apple pie

This is where Mia fell asleep today. She's not been napping lately, and if she does fall asleep during the day she's awake longer at night, but I'm loathe to wake her up, she just sings and talks to herself at night, so it's not as if it makes any more work for us. The past few days have been dark and rainy, Vancouver & November rain, so I think that may make her a bit more sleepy ( don't we all get sleepy on those days?)
The above was a creation to imitate the below. Lance had this pie a few weeks ago and loved it so much he took a picture. I made sort of an egg-y crust, I found the recipe I want to try next time, but it calls for yeast and I couldn't find mine. I used gala apples (it's what we had) and I don't think they're very good for baking, they stayed crunchy. Still tasty , but not nice and mushy like theirs. But the topping, oh Yum! I toasted hazelnuts, cashews and almonds in the oven, took what skin off the hazelnuts I could and then added pumpkin seeds. I cooked some water, sugar and cornstarch together to make the glaze and mixed the nuts in. I love the way mine looks, I like the colour much better than theirs, and the toasted nuts are so yummy. Overall, a very good dessert, and it will only be better next time with the improvements to crust and apple variety.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is Mia sleeping in? Whatever it is, she looks so cute! The transition to no nap is difficult, at least it was for us. Luckily we're over it now.

And that pie! Wow! That looks delicious!